The swap tendancy is way to high in Linux Mint.
You can reduce it by following these steps:
-open a terminal en type: cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
The tendancy is probably '60', what good is for servers but is to high for normal users
-type in terminal: gksudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf (in mate you use pluma instead of gedit)
-add at the bottom of that text file, the following lines (copy and paste):
# Reduce the swap tendency
vm.swappiness = 10
-save the file and restart the computer.
The rule is:
1GB RAM or more: set the swappiness to 10
Less then 1GB: set the swappiness to 1
Tags: swap swappines
Created: 2 years ago.
Last edited: 2 years ago.
Reviewed: 2 years ago.
Read 0 times.
|1 year ago||
Other than your opinion why is this prudent?
for installs TO usb flash?
|2 years ago||
|I do this for any Mint installs. Good tutorial :)|
Other tutorials from michelsaey
- Shutdown/Restart - Get rid of authentication during shutdown/restart
- Check HP printer or multifunctional ink level
- Connect to a wireless network as standard user without administrator authentication
- Wallpaper changer in mate
- Use 'Windows-key' for opening main menu instead of 'Alt-F1' in Mate
- Change ugly fonts in Firefox (KDE)
- Run pulseaudio systemwide
- Change file permissions with chmod
- Change Font Type and Color of Panel Clock in Mate