This package is part of the OpenSSL project's implementation of the SSL and TLS cryptographic protocols for secure communication over the Internet.
It contains the general-purpose command line binary /usr/bin/openssl, useful for cryptographic operations such as:
* creating RSA, DH, and DSA key parameters;
* creating X.509 certificates, CSRs, and CRLs;
* calculating message digests;
* encrypting and decrypting with ciphers;
* testing SSL/TLS clients and servers;
* handling S/MIME signed or encrypted mail.