How To Install Oracle (Sun) Java JDK & JRE in Ubuntu via PPA

web-keeper-666
  10 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I do not accept any credit for any of the section that I have sourced from others in any of my tutorials.
I have only included the information as extracts for the purpose of simplicity, and to hopefully assist others from the lengthy "Googling" I had to do to collect the information I used to solve my issues, and as in most cases I was having lots of problems trying to access some of these websites for various reasons,
(ie: site no longer available, not stable, corrupted links, etc), or just plagued with various issues in general.

So I thought it would make more sense to hold this information in one place..

If there are any objections or issues with having this as part of the tutorials, I will gladly remove it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits & Extracts

Many thanks to the guys at webupd8.org for the supply of this work & information, and especially to Andrew for granting me the permission to use this material. smiley yes

Extract from:-  Install Oracle (Sun) Java JDK in Ubuntu via PPA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this needs to be performed from a Terminal Session, as superuser.

Install Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu via PPA

This package provides Oracle Java JDK 7 (which includes Java JDK, JRE and the Java browser plugin). However, you can't only install Oracle JRE - the PPA only provides the full Oracle JDK7 package.

To add our PPA and install the latest Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu (supports Ubuntu 13.10, 13.04, 12.10, 12.04 and 10.04), use the commands below:

> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

After the installation finishes, if you wish to see if it was successful, you can run the following command:

> java -version

It should return something like this:

java version "1.7.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

The package installs all the Java binaries, so you can also try "javac -version" which should return "javac 1.7.0_10" and so on (the "_10" part of the version can be different because I'm constantly updating the PPA with the latest Oracle Java 7 version). The current JDK version in the PPA is Oracle Java 7 Update 10 (7u10).

If for some reason, the Java version in use is not 1.7.0, you can try to run the following command:

> sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-7-oracle

Update: the installer now requires you accept the Oracle license before the installation begins. This is only required once. If for some reason you need the installation to be automated, you can run the following command to automatically accept the Oracle license:

> sudo echo oracle-java7-installer shared/accepted-oracle-license-v1-1 select true | sudo /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections

Setting Java environment variables

To automatically set up the Java 7 environment variables, you can install the following package:

> sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-set-default

If you've already installed oracle-java6-set-default or oracle-java8-set-default, they will be automatically removed when installing oracle-java7-set-default (and the environment variables will be set for Oracle Java 7 instead).

Removing Oracle Java 7

If you don't want to use Oracle Java (JDK) 7 anymore and want to go back to OpenJDK, all you have to do is remove the Oracle JDK7 Installer and the previous Java (OpenJDK, etc.) version will be used:

sudo apt-get remove oracle-java7-installer.

------------------------------------------------------------

for Debian users head over to webupd8.org, by following the link below.

"Update: for Debian, see: How To Install Oracle Java 7 In Debian Via Repository"

Once again I thank all at "webupd8.org" for there efforts, support & assistance.

Comments
jjmk1 6 years ago

In Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon be sure to check /etc/profile.d/jdk_home.sh I renamed this file to jdk_home.sh.old and now my path does not keep getting overridden and I can call java -version and see Java 9 as expected. Even though I correctly selected Java 9 in update-aternatives --config java this jdk_home.sh file kept overriding the $PATH on boot-up.

dgbutterworth 8 years ago

Crack me up. This includes only a small portion of copy from the text, with a link to the full text. It's not a copyright violation - it's fair use. And furthermore, it's exactly what the good folks at webpd8.org would love to see happen.

And the tutorial is spot on - exactly the way to go. And, interestingly, there are two other tutorials on installing the Oracle JDK - and they are not entirely consistent. (The most recent one appears to be complete and correct - but I know not much. This method avoids possible errors in excecution.)

DestinTheGreat 10 years ago

guys he says up top that he did googling + he did give out a link on top of the page.

zantaz 10 years ago

i dont need JAVA(R) ... its a OLD fashion pure bytecode software machine ... when will stay on hardware side its possible to use it . Learn python or perl ...

remoulder 10 years ago

Do you have explicit permission from that website to copy the page? If not it is copyright theft. All you need to provide is a link to the original page.

Hammer459 10 years ago

This is a copied text!