Installation of 64 bit Canon MG5220 Drivers (Saucy-Petra)

galan55
  10 years ago

Due to obsessive tinkering, I have had to reinstall my Canon MG 5220 printer scanner for numerous versions of Ubuntu and Mint. Although Canon supports Windows well, its support of Linux is pathetic. A search of the web shows numerous methods of installing these drivers, which work to a better or lesser extent. Most of them will not give you printer ink monitors or maintenance windows. However, on my latest installation of Mint 16 Cinnamon, I was able to use, with the kind assistance of many web posts, the following method, which gave me the desired monitors, better color, and speedier printing. Many thanks to Michael-Gruz for hosting these amazing drivers on launchpad.

<style type="text/css"> P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { } </style>

Set up Printer for wireless operation. Make sure the printer is on and broadcasting a signal.

1. Open terminal

2. Enter: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk

3. Enter: sudo apt-get update

4. Open Synaptic Package Manager

5. Insure that CUPS is installed

6. Search for cnijfilter-common-64, mark for installation and apply

7. Search for cnijfilter-mg5200series-64, mark for installation and apply

8. Search for cups-pdf, mark for installation and apply

9. Open System Settings, go to Hardware-Printers and open

10. This opens 'Printers – localhost' window. Click on +Add

11. Click on Network Printer, which should show Canon MG-5200-series in the dropdown menu.

12. Highlight this and click Forward. This should set up the printer and offer to print a test page.

Set up Scanner:

1. Go to website: http://support-my.canon-asia.com/contents/MY/EN/0100303002.html

2. Download and extract scangearmp-mg5200series-1.60-1-deb.tar.gz

3. Using Nemo, open the folder scangearmp-mg5200series-1.60-1-deb as root (right click on containing directory and select 'Open as root')

4. Find file install.sh, check Properties → Permissions to make sure 'Allow executing file as a program' is checked. Close Properties

5. Double click on install.sh. This should install the program scangearmp in usr/bin.

6. On the Desktop, right click on an empty space and select '+ Create a new launcher here'.

7. This opens Launcher Properties window. Under name, enter Canon ScanGear. Under command, click Browse button and navigate to File System → usr → bin →scangearmp. Optional: click on the Spring icon, navigate to a better looking scanner icon, downloaded from web or other source. Click OK.This will give you the option to add the launcher to the menu. Make selection and enjoy.

Comments
VanderKam 8 years ago

This procedure for the printer was no success when I installed my MG5250 under Mint 17.2. It installs the wrong printer driver "Canon Pixma MG5250..with Gutenprint".
To cure this, please append the following steps:
13. Cancel the print test page
14. Right-click the printer icon and select properties
15. Click on "Change" at "Make and Model"
16. Select a printer from the data base, and brand "Canon"
17. Select "MG5200 Ver.3.90" and then "Canon MG5200 series Ver.3.90"

The "Canon Pixma MG5250..with Gutenprint" does work if the printer is installed via a search for its IP address. But the advantage of the above procedure and Michael Gruz's great drivers is that there is no need to fix the printer's IP address.

galan55 9 years ago

Compared to HP and Brother, which I have some experience with, Canon's support for Linux is lacking in the US. Although the drivers are available at Canon's Asia site, it took considerable digging for me to find these originally several years ago. Since Canon has the drivers, I am totally baffled why they would not host these on the US site, or at least facilitate a method or link on how to obtain them. Therefore, my 'pathetic' comment only applies to how Canon treats Linux supporters in the US.

tt100 10 years ago

Revisiting to say that I was able to get the scangear working by using terminal and command line to run install.sh and everything worked fine. Thanks again for the information

tt100 10 years ago

To clarify the below comment. I made it all the way to step 7 but there is no scangearmp file in the bin folder. In fact I searched all over and didn't find it anywhere else either. Note: When I double clicked install.sh it didn't just execute, but instead gave me 4 options, two of which were "run" and "run in terminal". When I clicked on "run" nothing happens, and when I ran in terminal it ran in terminal... just flashed the terminal page and it went away. I do appreciate the attempt but I'm just new (dumb) enough that this has me stumped. I'm still reading and searching the issue

tt100 10 years ago

I was not able to locate the scangearmp file for the scanner in step 7. The printer set up worked, but alas no scanner