Installing Linux Mint 12 in OEM mode
Important: This article covers the OEM installation of Linux Mint 12. It is written for manufacturers and computer resellers interested in pre-installing Linux Mint on the computers they sell to customers.
Step by step instructions
1. Download the ISO
2. Check the MD5
Open a terminal and run this command:
- md5sum linuxmint-12-gnome-oem-nocodecs-64bit.iso
The result should be:
- If the result differs your download is corrupt and you should download the image again.
3. Create a bootable live CD or USB stick
Linux Mint now uses Hybrid images so you can use either a CD or a USB stick.
Using a CD
- Burn the ISO image at the lowest possible speed.
Using a USB stick
- Follow these instructions
4. Install the system in OEM mode
- Boot on the live media and follow the instructions on the screen
- Note that the language, password, keyboard layout you choose are only for you. The customer will get to choose his/her own later on his/her first boot.
- When the installation is finished, removed the media and reboot the computer.
5. Prepare the computer
- The very first time the computer boot, it's still in OEM mode.
- In this mode you can change a few things for the customer.
When you're ready, open a terminal and type this command:
- The computer is now ready for the customer.
The next time the computer boots, a screen will appear to ask the customer to input his/her own information (username, language, keyboard layout..etc).
Tags: oem linux mint 12
Created: 5 years ago.
Last edited: 5 years ago.
Reviewed: 5 years ago.
Read 0 times.
No comments so far.
Other tutorials from clem
- How to upgrade to a newer release
- How to use the IRC
- The Linux Mint User Guide
- Plymouth - How to improve the resolution
- The Linux Mint FAQ
- How to moderate the community website
- Linux Mint 12 Tips and Tricks
- How to install Linux Mint via USB
- How to compile the latest Cinnamon
- Linux Mint 17 on the MacBook Pro
- Upgrade from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2
- How to watch DRM Flash content
- How to upgrade to Linux Mint 18