How to Get rid of the login keyring password

The_Loko
  11 years ago

When we configure our account for login automatically, wheen booting we will be asked for our password for unlock the login keyring. If nobody else use your computer, this is useless, but it's really easy to remove:

First of all, we have to search for Passwords and Encryption Keys. Also you can open it from terminal:

seahorse

You have to go to Passwords Tab, and there you will se a folder: Passwords: login  

Right Click and then Change Password. Enter your old password, and leave blank the new password fields.

Now you can try rebooting, it shouldn't appear now!

----

Also, the login keyring ask for the password if you have changed your user password. Doing this can fix that, just in the new passsword fields enter your new password.

Comments
ninjawarrior4760 5 years ago

I went to this link, http://askubuntu.com/questions/65281/how-to-recover-reset-forgotten-gnome-keyring-password
Then in the terminal, I just opened up seahorse and under Passwords, I right clicked and selected Delete to reset the keyring password. It actually deleted that keyring password. I did restart seahorse and typed a new keyring password after that. (I did all of this because for some reason I could not reset the keyring password. I guess this happened because I reset my administrative, or PC login). Although this procedure did work for me.

ack0329 7 years ago

Hi!

You could try: (for Gnome 3, I am using Ubuntu-Gnome)

System...Preferences..Startup Programs and uncheck the Gnome Keyrings. (or something similar)

WooHoo easy=-peasy and intuitive once you know.

dougT 7 years ago

had to install seahorse, but then it worked great! thanks.

xchiltonx 8 years ago

if making new users was REALLY simple then keyrings are useless...
(ie what groups they need, remove computer updates???, setting language for new users, use same windows setup as admin, which applets to have, not force 8 char in windowed add user, copy privacy settings in FF+chromium, let possibility to install from only specific parts of software Manager(thinking of wife and kids here),)

xchiltonx 8 years ago

it's a real pain this thing, if I use chromium logged in with my google account the thing pops up all the time! Even cuts my wifi.
This should be changed!!!!

MagicMint 8 years ago

Disabling the gnome keyring is a security risk !

boysha 8 years ago

Thanks! This worked on my Mint 17.2 Mate 64bit - Cheers!

Rocologo 8 years ago

Renaming the folder /home/username/.local/share/keyrings to /home/username/.local/share/keyrings.old and a restart solved my problem.

Rocologo 8 years ago

This didn't solve my problem with the keyring question every time I login.

oliver-joos 9 years ago

I was not able to enter the old password.

But I have solved it by moving the file .local/share/keyrings/login.keyring away, then creating a new keyring named "login" using seahorse and then replacing the new login.keyring by the old again.

For details see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/65281/how-to-recover-reset-forgotten-gnome-keyring-password

Salva 9 years ago

Gnome keyring has never worked for me, not in Mint 13 and not in Mint 17. I've been asking how to make it work but never got an answer.

It never ask for a password with auto login enabled...

prabhatjn 10 years ago

I found this answer better: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=118891#p686639

fmouse 11 years ago

On my installation here (12.04), the folder is called "Passwords: default"

The_Loko 11 years ago

eamrnr Maybe when changing the password you put a wrong one. You can try this for change it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword Also works on mint.

capt_coaldale Did you get any error message?

eamrnr 11 years ago

Installed Mint yesterday. Changed my password and now Mint doesn't recognize the old or the new password. Any idea what I can do?

capt_coaldale 11 years ago

Didn't work for me. The password refuses to change.

vivekgarg03 11 years ago

great...
much helpful for me...

Mintification 11 years ago

Thanks, a nice and simple fix.