How to Configure Printers in Linux Mint

plaa
  11 years ago

The printer configuration tool in Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon allows you to add and remove printers, but does not allow configuring the printer or print driver in any way.  There's a simple solution however:

1. Open a terminal or press alt+F2
  2. Type in system-config-printer and press enter

This will open a configuration utility that allows you to select printer drivers and otherwise configure your printer.  If the utility is not installed (it was by default for me), you need to install the package system-config-printer-gnome.

Another option is navigating to http://localhost:631/ as descrived in this HOWTO.  However I find the configuration utility easier to use.

Comments
sounddoctorin 6 years ago

what's really *lacking* is comprehensive instruction (as magic mint notes you can access it from menu...administration/printers and you don't have to open terminal) on how to enter URI's. Newbs have no idea what to put there. eg. I'm trying to get it to find the usb to lpt at /dev/usb/lp0 and I can't just enter that as ipp://dev/usb/lp0 or it says nothing working pal or whatever. We need to get some kind of instruction up to cover that kind of thing..

MagicMint 8 years ago

The utility has been directly accessible from Cinnamon’s menu for quite a while.

bionaught 9 years ago

I'm back off to Version 13 of mint again. Didn't have to do anything except click search for my network printer and everything configured itself. Did the developers from microsoft "help" make Version 17?

Angelanna81 10 years ago

Does this also work on mint 16 KDE?

ayannath 10 years ago

thanks.. really help me to configure my printer..

jahid_0903014 10 years ago

thnks

franmcloughlin 10 years ago

It would be nice if there was a link included in the Desktop allowing the user to configure their printer(s) from the get go.

thestoryiheard 10 years ago

Thank you. Now I know how to configure my printer, if its stuck.