Clean Up Grub Boot Menu

efthialex
  12 years ago

Remove Old Kernel Entries

The most common clean up task for the boot menu is to remove old kernel versions lying around on your machine.

In our case we want to remove the 2.6.35-23-generic and 2.6.35-22-generic boot menu entries. In the past, this meant opening up /boot/grub/menu.lst…but with Grub2, if we remove the kernel package from our computer, Grub automatically removes those options.

To remove old kernel versions, open up Synaptic Package Manager, found in the Applications > Administration menu.

When it opens up, type the kernel version that you want to remove in the Quick search text field. The first few numbers should suffice.

For each of the entries associated with the old kernel (e.g. linux-headers-2.6.35-23 and linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic), right-click and choose Mark for Complete Removal.

Click the Apply button in the toolbar and then Apply in the summary window that pops up. Close Synaptic Package Manager.

The next time you boot up your computer, the Grub menu will not contain the entries associated with the removed kernel version.

Note:

You can press Right Click and View Image to see my pictures in maximu size.

Comments
9z4fz 8 years ago

A graphical tool to find and remove orphaned libraries

open up Synaptic Package Manager

Click on search

search box pop-up

type in search GtKOrphan install

menu

system

Remove Orphan Packages

Excellent tool to free your system from dead packages that are not in use very simple and easy to used

Blueeyes524 12 years ago

Hi my friend installed Linux mint 10 , said much better than windows, however that was 18 mounths ago only recently unpacked desktop to use and can't remember user name or password,He is no longer around sadly. I have read lots of posts on changing the kernal line however I don't have a kernal line in my grub menu, I have four lines two start with Linux mint and two start with memory test, can you help me?

Darrel 12 years ago

Great tip Thanks

sdim 12 years ago

Very useful. Thank you.

Tonya 12 years ago

Very nice article.
As for me I prefer this method to ubuntu-tweak.

trollboy 12 years ago

Nice tutorial which confirmed something I kind of already knew.

m4daredsun 12 years ago

Works for LMDE as well :-)

blueXrider 12 years ago

This method works for Katya too. If you don't have Ubuntu-Tweak.

Nicely put together, good screenshots.

Elisa 13 years ago

But even good results in VB/VMW/VM, needn't be the same on the primary systems, I'm afraid. Therefore, IMHO, testing new kernels (only) in VMs... is not so significant...

c0nsaw 13 years ago

ubuntu-tweak can clean up old headers also !
good post thanks

efthialex 13 years ago

@remoulder First i test the new Kernels in a VirualMachine and then i put them on my primary system.
I made this tutorial cause a friend asked me.

Sorry for my bad English

remoulder 13 years ago

Whilst your tutorial is well presented, it is a little pointless in that:
i) most users will not see the grub menu unless dual booting;
ii) mintupdate does not by default install kernel updates;
iii) anyone with the knowledge to update the kernel may well have the knowledge to remove old ones;
iv) it is usually a good idea to leave an older kernel installed when updating to a new one in case of problems.