Install LibreOffice 3.3 on Linux Mint 9 and 10

Alexio
  13 years ago

LibreOffice is now available in LaunchPad PPA.

Installing LibreOffice using this method completely removes OpenOffice.org from Linux Mint. You should backup all your custom templates, since purging OpenOffice.org completely deletes them. The spellchecker and the language support packages are also removed.

First you should remove OpenOffice.org by entering in the Terminal:

sudo apt-get purge openoffice*.*

To install LibreOffice, run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

For better compatibility with your desktop environment, you should install one more package:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome

or

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-kde

To reinstall the English language support you can use:

sudo apt-get install language-support-en

For other languages just change en to something else, like ro for Romanian or fr for French.

Tested on Linux Mint 9 and on Linux Mint 10 and there are no issues. You will notice that LibreOffice 3.3 launches faster than OpenOffice.org 3.2 and the apps can be launched from the Mint Menu, from the ¨Office¨ category.

Please note that you may need to install some extensions from the official OpenOffice.org extensions repository, like a spell checker or a specific language pack. After installing some extension you should close LibreOffice and open it again to use the extension.

The keyboard shortcuts for OpenOffice.org should work with LibreOffice. For LibreOffice Calc you can enable the OpenOffice.org legacy shortcuts from the Tools > Options > Compatibility (key bindings) by replacing the default one.

Comments
truKKurt 2 years ago

Thank you.

psyckers 12 years ago

This is a lot simplier than it looks but it works well without any issues.
The scary part where you remove OpenOffic with one command in the terminal is a bit nerve raking but once you get over that and follow the commands step by step, you will find Libre Office installs and launches a heck of a lot quicker than OpenOffice. Nice tutorial Alexio.

Alexio 12 years ago

The updated 3.3.2 version of LibreOffice is now available from the LaunchPad PPA for Linux Mint 9 and 10.

For the Linux Mint 11 users, the LibreOffice version available from this PPA is 3.4.3 final (the latest one).

Examiner 12 years ago

As a new Linux user, who is not literate in "computerese", I am really glad that I found these instructions on how to install LibreOffice. From the onset of using OpenOffice, I found it to be slow and not very user friendly, at least - for me.

When all that you are familiar with is Windows, and you become a Linux user, your entire "computer world" changes. With OpenOffice, I felt as though I was struggling constantly, just to create documents.

I installed LibreOffice as per the instructions above, using the terminal commands - which still scare me - and it installed flawlessly. The GUI is really pleasant, and my computer seems to be running a lot faster. When it comes to LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice, LibreOffice wins, hands down!

Thank you so much, from a grateful reader!

alexcox 12 years ago

Worked perfectly! Thank you.

Alexio 12 years ago

@dkfalcone - The tutorial is about using the Terminal to install some software packages. It seems that some files are not downloaded properly on your system. You should check that the files are downloaded from https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

Another way is to visit http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ and to choose the download the DEB files: LibO_3.4.2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz 145 MB and LibO_3.4.2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US.tar.gz 9 MB (en-US - English (US)).

Just un-pack the DEB files from the archives and double click on the DEB files to install LibreOffice.

dkfalcone 12 years ago

Everything seemed to work until I got to the install line, then it says that the package does not exist...? I also noted that in my system Synaptic does not see any package for LibreOffice though it now shows ppa as a repository. Any ideas?

blueXrider 12 years ago

Good info

Tony 12 years ago

Thank you very much, Alexio. This seems to have worked perfectly for me using LinuxMint9.

breirden 12 years ago

This was great! Thank you.

migs 12 years ago

Thanks very much for this guide.

Alexio 12 years ago

@tangus - You can check in Synaptic for broken packages and then try to fix them. Reinstalling LibreOffice may also be the solution to your problem.

dhb96 12 years ago

This guide is easy to use.

pilipala 12 years ago

Thank you, have only been using Mint 9 for a few hours (I'm a complete virgin to Linux, so hope I chose wisely) This guide was so simple to use.

Many Thanks

umlopez 12 years ago

Me gustó el tutorial, pero par mí tuve que agregar cambiar el detalle del lenguaje y también instalar la localización en español,
por lo que para mí quedó en estas instrucciones:
sudo apt-get purge openoffice*.*

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome language-support-es

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-l10n-es

Con esto me queda instalado LibreOffice con los diccionarios y las localizació (menús y ayuda en línea) en español...
Gracias.

anzoflank 12 years ago

nice job...

marshman 12 years ago

Good Tutorial, worked fine for me on mint 10 julia. Didn't need to install spell checker as extension as it was pulled in with 'sudo apt-get install libreoffice' but did have to 'sudo apt-get install language-support-en' to give it a dictionary to work from.

Thanks.

nurtel9 12 years ago

cool

groovydaddy 12 years ago

Nice job on this easy to follow tutorial. I just switched from Open to Libre. After installing via CLI, I had to go into Synaptic to install Writer, Calc, Draw, Base, Math, Impress, plugins, and the such. The install command above only installed the core package for LibreOffice. Perhaps I did something wrong? Just wanted to share as an FYI. :)

Animal 12 years ago

Well...awesome

mikefreeman 13 years ago

I wonder if all this is going to change now that Oracle has dropped official OpenOffice support, and are giving it up as a community project. Perhaps Document Foundation can have the OpenOffice name again?

reborn777 13 years ago

IMPRESSIVE!

IntuitiveLeap 13 years ago

works great on linux mint julia (10). only flaw i have seen is a few of the 'menu listings' remain even though the actuall application has been removed (open office formula buttons were left in my menu, but no big deal to remove)

KoHoSo 13 years ago

This worked perfectly for me and I'm still pretty much a GNU/Linux newbie. Although I did not hate OpenOffice, I am much happier with the performance of LibreOffice. It definitely starts up much faster on the computer that I built myself almost five years ago and the overall performance seems much smoother. No longer having to worry about what Oracle is going to do with OpenOffice is a big plus as well. Alexio, thank you for this tutorial!

jag32266 13 years ago

Thank you very much, made this extremely simple for a newB

xfirebg 13 years ago

Thanks!

popcola 13 years ago

Very nice. Works great! Thank you

cheaking 13 years ago

Great job! Everything works!

ibm450 13 years ago

cheers for the info :)
i believe theres an update 3.3.14??, but how do you run the contents from the tar file? be nice if all linux installs were easy by just double clicking on the ded file and install.....

Chryatis 13 years ago

Thanks for the easy to follow guide - worked like a charm

Fuzzi99 13 years ago

Excellent tutorial glad to see openoffice go as it has too many connections to oricle

tenlegger 13 years ago

Worked a treat in Mint 10 KDE (x86_64).
Many thanks for the excellent guide.

WilliamR 13 years ago

Thanks for the guide. I Just installed Libre Office.

gerinho 13 years ago

Good news, thank you

Alexio 13 years ago

The updated 3.3.1 final version of LibreOffice is now available from the LaunchPad PPA.

The next major release, version 3.4, is due in May 2011, just in time for Linux Mint 11.

According to The Document Foundation Wiki, new major versions of LibreOffice should be available every six months. Eventually, the release dates may be scheduled in March and September.

gerinho 13 years ago

Works fine!! Thank you

troyM 13 years ago

Great work! I was sad to see openoffice go since I had used it for several years, but glad to be using libreoffice now. This tutorial was right on target and the install went perfectly.

Sol_Badguy 13 years ago

Excellent tutorial,pretty useful...

Boringbytes 13 years ago

Thanks for this, I had been trying to install Libreoffice from a downloaded Deb package, but I kept getting an error and could not successfully complete the installation. Installing from the ppa went absolutely smooth.

mikefreeman 13 years ago

Just a note: removing meta packages (such as mint-meta-gnome-dvd) is perfectly safe once the software it depends on is installed. Removing all of OpenOffice removes that meta package because parts of OpenOffice are its dependencies. But you will not affect your system at all by doing this. Replacing OpenOffice with LibreOffice and removing the meta package makes no difference in your system, except that you have a more open-standard office suite. Which is good. :)

maxpolk 13 years ago

Ran into a snag. mint-meta-gnome-dvd depends on openoffice.org-base, so I tried to let openoffice.org-base stay put.

Unfortunately, installing libreoffice removes openoffice.org-base (maybe in favor of libreoffice-base?), which then removes mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

Is there a way to tell mind-meta-gnome-dvd to stay put even though it's missing openoffice.org-base?

Alexio 13 years ago

@risukikudo - LibreOffice 3.3 can be downloaded in .deb format from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ and check the software and hardware prerequisites for installing it on your computer.

Just copy the downloaded file to the offline computer. In Linux Mint it's very easy to install from a .deb file, just click on it and the installer should start.

grim 13 years ago

Ty for the tutorial Alexio, pretty useful!
I'm loving LO 3.3 so far, dang, its so fast and responsive!

risukikudo 13 years ago

hey, how to install it offline??

JeanGrosJean 13 years ago

Installed it and I'm very pleased with it. After installation I went on Synaptic and installed the French language pack. From now on, it's LibreOffice for me, especially since I read that the Document Foundation will gradually modernize the interface.

zaenal1234 13 years ago

very nice, but I completed it to install again via the 'synaptic package manager'.

Alexio 13 years ago

@Elisa - LibreOffice 3.3 launches faster than OpenOffice.org 3.2, has new features and bugs fixes.

Elisa 13 years ago

And what's your impression of LO 3.3? Is it much better than OO? ;-)

Alexio 13 years ago

The Document Foundation launched LibreOffice 3.3 today, January 25, 2011. It is the first stable release of the free office suite available for download.

Frank 13 years ago

Buenisimooo

kage 13 years ago

I love it!!!

RayWoods 13 years ago

Thanks @Alexio, it is now working. It's a shame that the extensions in OOO weren't transferred over, like the Templates but then, I suppose it gives a chance for a clear out!! There's a bright side to most problems.

Alexio 13 years ago

@RayWoods - Please look at Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages for the "Default language for documents". In the drop-down list of languages, if a language doesn't have a little "ABC" and a blue check mark, then the dictionary for that language isn't installed. You can get the dictionaries from the OpenOffice.org repository for Extensions.

RayWoods 13 years ago

Just one thing, LibreOffice picked up my templates but, could I get the Spelling Checker to work!! (Be it automatically or with an on demand check.) So far everything else is very good.

wanda 13 years ago

Very good Alexio.

efthialex 13 years ago

Good Job Alexio! ;-)