Crazy way to reset your user account to Defaults!

tamoghna4
  12 years ago

Over the time, we make several changes to our desktop, we configure programs the way we like. So what if something goes wrong, or just we want to see the same "Mint" as we booted into it for the first time? There's an easy way to do it, especially for newbies like me!

Just go to your "home" folder, make your file manager to view hidden folders, e.g. for "Dolphin",  click the "View" tab in menu bar, and click "Show hidden files". Select all the folders except the folders that contains your data, like "Desktop", "Documents", "Pictures"  etc. and delete them all! All the changes you have ever made to that account would be reset, except those changes that you have made with "root" privilege.

• All the data associated with the programs corresponding to that user account, like your browser bookmarks,  would be lost! That means, programs will behave the same way as they behaved when you started them for the first time. Your personal data in your personal folders will remain as they ware.
  • Your system will not be compromised. Your system data is safe in your root directory, by default you don't have the privilege to edit. Whatever you do with your "home" folder don't have any effect on that. That is the primary reason why "Linux" is not so malware friendly!

Good luck!

PS: You can try this technique to individual programs if you know where that programe's profile is.

Comments
robknol 7 years ago

After upgrading from 17 to 18. At first logon I could not click the menu anymore. the keyboard key did work so almost no problem.
The next day I discovered that my sound did not worked and my desktop settings could not be saved.
Than I logged in from a other default account and mint worked as normal, with sound and all.
Happy that my sound card was not broken. It is a profile thing.

I don't know how the problem get in in the first place. I just follow the commands from this site to upgrade to mint 18.

than I came up to this answer. After deleting the files I logged in again and everything worked again! Still a super solution!!

elstellino 11 years ago

I had a problem with the keyboard and reset it in this way! I didn't delete, anything though, I just cut and pasted in the Windows partition. I didn't want to waste time with Firefox, Thunderbird and stuff. I am repasting back every single file and folder one by one until I find the culprit.
Great idea!
Deleting all is just like reinstalling Linux Mint without reinstalling it.

trollboy 12 years ago

It certainly is a crazy way! and definitely has the potential to go wrong. Imagine accidentally deleting your data as well. As a technique it does work well for individual programs though.

wanda 12 years ago

Definitely a bad idea for newcomers .. sorry.
I've done this with individual programs when things go awry.
B.v Firefox.

mikefreeman 12 years ago

I've done this with individual programs when things go awry, but never the whole enchilada! I would be strongly concerned about doing that.

blueXrider 12 years ago

I've done that. Works very well when you get pissed off at "WINE" ;)

dagon 13 years ago

Whatever works for you... ;)
You get a + in my book.

tamoghna4 13 years ago

Me too my friend!

Elisa 13 years ago

:lol:

tamoghna4 13 years ago

Well, thats why i named it "crazy Way" I guess! Anyway, it works!

zaenal1234 13 years ago

yes, it's right.
... Thanks.

tamoghna4 13 years ago

Well, I've tried that first, and yes it's safe. Just try one thing to make sure, make hidden folders visible, and delete, for say, the "Mozilla" folder, and see what happens to your Firefox. The same thing will happen to everything else!

thermodynamics4 13 years ago

Why nobody Talks about this, I think is a nice idea, well the thing is that I am newbie so i cannot say if it is save to do that, can you copy/paste some of the sources where you get the info? you can edit your Tutorial to know more about this... Thanks!