How to Hide files in Mint

efthialex
  10 years ago

I'm gonna show you a way of  hidding your files without changing their names.

To begin with, you have to create a file called ".hidden"' in the same directory where you have the files you want to hide.

After that, you have to do is to open that file with Text Editor and add the names of files/directories to that file, one per line.  Finally, you need to refresh the view.

Before

After

To see your hidden files press Ctrl + H

Comments
subho 8 years ago

good one

luisbraganca 9 years ago

Now that's useful!

mint23943 9 years ago

Super :)

AshutoshKale 9 years ago

Nice one !!!!

MagicMint 10 years ago

@prsnt: Throw out Windows ;-)

@efthialex: A nice little tutorial about a feature a little unknown, but expedient!

sujitnag 10 years ago

nice

efthialex 10 years ago

@chompskyhomp

It works on every version of Linux Mint.

chompskyhomp 10 years ago

This doesn't work for me for some reason. Worked on every other distro I've ever tried.

mfzn 11 years ago

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ylmypc.gif
but its showed on wind***

breaker 11 years ago

Good tutorial, I didn't know about the special .hidden filename, only dot filename. Thanks.

Bobster 12 years ago

cool

Anleoje 12 years ago

Cool!!! :P

ivy_s 12 years ago

Very goof tutorial.
Thanks for the info.

Perkins 12 years ago

Oh, couple more things, important folders at specific locations can't easily be hidden this way. (e.g. .Desktop doesn't resolve to the same folder as Desktop, so anything that points to Desktop won't find the folder if you rename it to .Desktop) Also, the command to display hidden files is `ls -a', from the GUI ^H will display files that start with '.'. The open/save dialog boxes in gnome do display hidden folders without even a note that they are hidden (Ever notice all the . names in your home folder?). Same goes for samba shares being accessed from windows, I don't know if the .hidden file hides them from samba and the open/save dialog or not. Oh, and my advice is to leave all the folders in your home folder that begin with '.' alone, they are usually configuration files specific to the user.

diegoCode 12 years ago

Cool! Thank you!

efthialex 12 years ago

@Perkins 

I didn't know this, i'll try it.
Thanks

Perkins 12 years ago

@executable:
Note that in windows running dir /a will show hidden files, so they are not really hidden, just not shown by default.
Also, with ext filesystems, any file or folder starting with `.' is hidden, this applies to folder/files or links. It also applies to file lists shown on the command line. If you want files not readable to others (not just hidden), run `chmod o-r' (to make them not group readable run `chmod g-r'). This doesn't hide that the files are there, but does keep them from being read. (If you `chmod o-r' a directory, the contents of the directory cannot be seen or read.) Note that none of this keeps the file owner from reading the files, only way to do that is by encrypting the files with a password.

blueXrider 12 years ago

Nice tutor

@ihends actually there is a script to hide-unhide using right click http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789684 see #5

I haven't used it but it should be ok.

executable 12 years ago

I don't understand why unix and linux file system don't have hidden attributes like on windows.

We must add this bit on next ext5 :) so the file attributes become rwxhrwxhrwxh

efthialex 12 years ago

@ihends you could rename your file and add a dot at the beginning

etc file -> .file and your file would be hidden.

With this way you can hide only files, not directories. ;)

ihends 12 years ago

is there any simpler way of doing this..
can i hide the files with my rightclicks..
so i don't have to make many .hidden documents for each folder...

obakfahad 12 years ago

Thanks yaar.

Steampunk-Nick 12 years ago

great tutorial!

mysoomro 12 years ago

Thanks a lot. I was looking for a way to hide some of my file, that I didn't want children to mess up with.
I hope it's not as lengthy as it seems in this tutorial. :-)

nurtel9 12 years ago

Good one

Frank 12 years ago

Muy bueno!
Thank you

Tonya 12 years ago

Cool!!! Thank you very much!

MintyFresco91 13 years ago

very useful trick to prevent intruders. take that hackers CTRL + H!

haha

slw_ 13 years ago

Handy. Thanks.

wanda 13 years ago

Thank you!

mercury700ir 13 years ago

Thanks alot...
Useful knowledge for someone like me, which is a new user to linux.

maxpestun 13 years ago

Yes, very cool feature! Thanks!

gonye 13 years ago

Yes it's great! I didn't know the CTRL+H command. Thanks!

efthialex 13 years ago

You're all welcome

mikefreeman 13 years ago

Really cool! I didn't know you could do this!

zaenal1234 13 years ago

very good, without rename the file. and can also be used to hide folders.

sayan_acharjee 13 years ago

Did not know this method.
I used to use only dot (.) to hide files :D
Thanks!!

efthialex 13 years ago

@Elisa You can do that only for files,not for directories. ;-)

Elisa 13 years ago

Just curios (because didn't tried it :)) - isn't it easier, without typing especially long names files to create a folder ".whatever" and move all files even folder to that hidden folder? ;)

efthialex 13 years ago

I changed it.

m4daredsun 13 years ago

Thank you! I am not a total beginner, but was not aware about this possibility for cleaning interfaces

Xyie 13 years ago

Sounds really useful, not just for one's self but also potentially for cleaning up an interface for someone inexperienced so they don't mess with anything they shouldn't tinker with.

efthialex 13 years ago

I fix it.Thank you.

remoulder 13 years ago

Nice, but you may want to check your spelling, beginners not begginers. Also you should mention that after saving the file you need to refresh the view.