Changing the Linux Mint StartButton Icon [2 Methods]

efthialex
  11 years ago

Hey everyone, this is a simple tutorial which shows you how to change your Start Menu Panel Icon step by step.(I recommend you to take a backup of your system before doing any changes)

FIRST METHOD

1)Choose the picture you wanna put as your Start Menu Panel Icon and open it with Gimp.

2)Now if your image is bigger than 24x24 you should Scale

Press Right Click on image Image Scale Image

3)A window like this should apear to you

Put the Width and Height 24 pixels, the Interpolation Cubic and press the button Scale.

4) After that your image will look something like this

Next you have to save it twice (Press File Save As). The first time you will save it as  visualisation-logo.png and the second time as mintMenu.png

5)Then we should open the folder where we have save these 2 files as administrator (From now on we should work as administrator's to copy or paste something cause we gonna change some System Files)

6)Now copy these 2 files and from this windows go to File System from the Left Options

7)Next go at the botton of the window and open usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu and paste your files and press Replace

8)Restart your computer

SECOND METHOD

- Save the file [in Gimp] as minticon.png in your home folder

- Press Right Click on Start Button and go to Preferences

- Now go at the Button Icon: and type /home/user*/minticon.png and press the button Close at the botton of the window.

(*where user is your account's name)

WARNING: This file shouldn't be moved or deleted from home folder. To avoid this you can hide it. Look how to hide your files here.

- Restart your computer

BEFORE

AFTER

Here are some icons

Comments
Iamwithin 11 years ago

Thank you my firend!

efthialex 11 years ago

@Iamwithin

Thanks for the hint!

Labby 12 years ago

Handy tutorial. Thanks!

ivy_s 12 years ago

I've already bored the default one. Thanks.

prativasic 12 years ago

Good one... Thanks

kazztan0325 12 years ago

Nice tutorial!
This tutorial is also easy for newbies to understand!

zaenal1234 12 years ago

very good....tutorial, I put, is direct a file-png, in "usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/file-png" (as root).

efthialex 13 years ago

@sayan_acharjee first positive comment, thanks :)

sayan_acharjee 13 years ago

Very nice, I've changed it successfully. :)

efthialex 13 years ago

(I recommend you to take a backup of your system before doing any changes)

2nd Line

Xyie 13 years ago

But this means if you ever want to change it back, the original file is gone! It should not be a problem to change the directory...that's what that feature is for in mintmenu - to change the icon!

efthialex 13 years ago

I didn't want to change the directory of the Panel Icon. ;)

remoulder 13 years ago

This starts out well but then you suggest replacing the original mintmenu icon - this is completely un-necessary, you just need to select the icon in the menu's preferences.