Installing LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) On Linux Mint

mysoomro
  12 years ago

Installing LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) On Linux Mint

Through this tutorial, you'll learn how to Install Apache, MySQL and PHP.

If you're a webpage designer or developer and use PHP, mySQL and Apache, you'll be needing these applications to be installed. When I istalled Mint, I was looking for a way to install LAMP and found a tutorial on a website by somebody named "Cargoship". That tutorial was for ubuntu. But I installed it on my Linux mint, and it is working.

In this guide I will show you how to install a LAMP system. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. The guide is intended to help those who have very little knowlegde of using Linux.

We will not cover how to install Linux the L of LAMP, because Linux Mint is already installed in your computer.

Install Apache

To start off we will install Apache.

1. Open up the Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).

2. Copy/Paste or type the following line of code into Terminal and then press enter:

sudo apt-get install apache2

3. The Terminal will then ask you for you're password, type it and then press enter.

Testing Apache

To make sure everything installed correctly we will now test Apache to ensure it is working properly.

1. Open up any web browser and then enter the following into the web address:

http://localhost/

You should see a folder entitled apache2-default/. Open it and you will see a message saying "It works!" , congrats to you! or something like that!

Install PHP

In this part we will install PHP 5.

Step 1. Again open up the Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).

Step 2. Copy/Paste or type the following line into Terminal and press enter:

sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5

Step 3. In order for PHP to work and be compatible with Apache we must restart Apache. Type the following code in Terminal to do this:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Test PHP

To ensure there are no issues with PHP let's give it a quick test run.

Step 1. In the terminal copy/paste or type the following line:

sudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php

This will open up a file called testphp.php.

Step 2. Copy/Paste this line into the phptest file:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Step 3. Save and close the file.

Step 4. Now open you're web browser and type the following into the web address:

http://localhost/testphp.php

(It will show you the page that has all information about your php. If you have prior experience of installing php in some other OS, you must have seen this page.)

Congrats you have now installed both Apache and PHP!

Install MySQL

To finish this guide up we will install MySQL.

Step 1. Once again open up the amazing Terminal and then copy/paste or type this line:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Step 2 (optional). In order for other computers on your network to view the server you have created, you must first edit the "Bind Address". Begin by opening up Terminal to edit the my.cnf file.

gksudo gedit /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Change the line

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

And change the 127.0.0.1 to your IP address.

(In Linux Mint 11, terminal itself asked to the set password, But if it doesn't follow the step 3.)

Step 3. This is where things may start to get tricky. Begin by typing the following into Terminal:

mysql -u root

Following that copy/paste or type this line:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('yourpassword');

(Make sure to change yourpassword to a password of your choice.)

Step 4. We are now going to install a program called phpMyAdmin which is an easy tool to edit your databases. Copy/paste or type the following line into Terminal:

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql phpmyadmin

After that is installed our next task is to get PHP to work with MySQL. To do this we will need to open a file entitled php.ini. To open it type the following:

gksudo gedit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Now we are going to have to uncomment the following line by taking out the semicolon (;).

Change this line:

;extension=mysql.so

To look like this:

extension=mysql.so

Now just restart Apache and you are all set! 

If you get a 404 error upon visiting http://localhost/phpmyadmin: You will need to configure apache2.conf to work with Phpmyadmin.

sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Include the following line at the bottom of the file, save and quit.

Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf

Then just restart Apache

Now make wonderful website and have fun!wink

Terminal scares the newbies, but here, you'll see how magical terminal or comand promt (whatever you call it) is.

And as Linux is very secure OS, it'll ask you the password again and again, on every administrative command. You'll have to type in your password many times, whenever terminal asks for it.

The End

Comments
zhorik 5 years ago

Although, the tutorial gives a good idea what should be installed, it is severely outdated. None of the checks worked on my box. We are at php7.0 and not php5 -- attempting to get php5 will cause lots of pain. Some packages are no longer supported -- libapache2-mod-auth-mysql. Some configuration lines -- extension-mysql.so -- are nowhere to be found. Would be nice if someone could bring the document up to date.

free_and_awake 5 years ago

Great tutorial. Many thanks.

TS01 5 years ago

Thanks for the tutorial, it is really something i was looking for. Thanks A lot.

ssdmanster 6 years ago

WOW, This tutorial work 100% fine, Thanks dude.

goodfella 6 years ago

@nnov, you missed a step for the changes you made for installing php7

instead of

gksudo gedit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

I did

gksudo gedit /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini and uncomment

;extension=php_mysqli.dll to make it look like
extension=php_mysqli.dll

I'm not sure if that step is necessary but I found it somewhere else.

nnov 6 years ago

Some minor changes, just did this tutorial on LM 18.1 Serena Cinnamon 64 bit:

instead of:

i did (in su):

apt-get install php7.0
apt-get install libapache2-mod-php7.0
_-------------------------------------------------
instead of:
sudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php

i did (in su):
xed /var/www/html/testphp.php
i'd add, when you install mysql-server, you can specify a password for root. if you do it while installing, you don't have to do step 3.

instead of:
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql phpmyadmin

i did (in su):

apt-get install libapache2-mod-log-sql-mysql
apt-get install php7.0-mysql
apt-get install phpmyadmin

ssdmanster 6 years ago

Thanks for everything here, just i had some problems and i solve it from google and everything is sooo beautiful :), Thanks alot

jahid_0903014 6 years ago

I have a script that can install LAMP and create custom sites: lampi

Koli14 6 years ago

Here is a one line solution:
sudo apt-get install lamp-server^ -y
(I wonder, why nobody posted it yet...)

optimuspnj 7 years ago

I'm using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and its better to run this,
sudo apt-get install php
Rather than this.

asitec 7 years ago

similar problem of testphp..:(.. but with your comments and lines, got it... thanks for this helpful articles and info in comments..all is great!
:)
Just created it in html folder by admin account.! so easy and useful....

thanagor 8 years ago

Hey, thanks for the info :) I also did one more step so i can go at localhost/phpmyadmin and see the site

$ sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Add the phpmyadmin config to the file:

then restart apache:
$ sudo service apache2 restart

and you are ready to go :)

okinboxme 8 years ago

i got a problem :

* Restarting web server apache2 AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

davidgkano 8 years ago

This was great, worked almost exactly as outlined. A minor point for folks:

The php.ini file had a typo, so when I searched for extension=myphp.so it was not found because the line really had 'extension=mphp.so'

Otherwise no problems. Easier than I remembered things going back when I installed AMP on Windows XP a few years back!

Zaddik74 8 years ago

Worked perfect! Thanks a lot! I just had to move the testphp.php to the html folder, then it worked! ;-)

jahid_0903014 8 years ago

@IPCybOrg 
testphp.php should be in /var/www/html

That's not quite true, it depends on the DocumentRoot in apache2 site configuration.

If you define DocumentRoot as /var/www then it will be /var/www not /var/www/html.

marcemania 8 years ago

Perfect!!! Big post.

zald_hyberd 8 years ago

thank you, that what i am searching for long time :D

Doogie78 8 years ago

Thank you!! so straight forward to follow. The part with msql.so should be mysql.so on the machine I am running that worked.

quickbluehorse 8 years ago

Oops, Mint Mate 17.2 Rafaela is my distribution.

By the way, when you type "localhost" to test the apache installation, it will go to the file /var/www/html/index.html - only firefox does not show the complete url in the browser bar - that is why it is easy to overlook, where the root of the webserver is ...

I guess it took me a two or three hours trying various other options, before I found the solution. My guess is that the apache directory for web root changed a while ago, and so this looks as if php install is not working, but it is. If the writer of this tutorial mysoomro could change it to the new root, that could be most useful ...

quickbluehorse 8 years ago

HOW TO FIX "The requested URL /phpMyAdmin was not found on this server."

I hit the obstacle, that in the above instruction the test file is not created in the directory, where the apache server has its root ...

The root is not in /var/www - but in /var/www/html !!
This can be seen or set differently in the /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf file, where apache gets its directions from.

That cannot work, right? Either create the file in the test procedure above in the right directory, or copy it with sudo cp into the root directory /var/www/html ...

Happily found that one out, so simple. Did not find that hint on the web, so I wanted to add it here. Maybe others can benefit from it. Go mint.

sudo gedit /var/www/html/testphp.php

Or copy the file testphp.php into the directory "html"
This is the root directory for the apache server - at least it was in my MATE 14.2 installation, when I had followed all of the above steps.

tselios 8 years ago

Thanks pal, nice topic. Works fine in Rafaela

eiger3970 9 years ago

Hi, good but needs to be updated and a number of changes for mine to work.
I'm not sure how or if I'm allowed to edit this walkthrough to correct it?

JohnRG 9 years ago

Isn't it easier to just use the Software Manager to install the components. That just leaves testing that the install worked, setting the mySQL root password and any configuration file changes.

I'm not criticizing the tutorial, just suggesting that rather than using APT directly, it may be easier to use the Software Manager.

mysoomro 9 years ago

I'm so sorry guys for being absent for a long time.
actually I'm stuck somewhere else.
Only can see the notification when someone sends me a message...
@lhs182 about it. are you sure this has permanently changed for all mints??
I haven't checked it. And if we change it we have to be positive that it has changed or it'll create some problem for other people.

pierre_1999 9 years ago

why is gksudo gedit /etc/mysql/my.cnf used instead of simply sudo vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf ? Is there a reason or they are interchangeable on this occasion? Thanks for the tutorial.

jharris1993 9 years ago

@earlgray,

Check the permissions of the files in /etc/apache2 using "ls -l" from a terminal window (of course, you have to be *inside* the directory for that to help you! :-) )

If the "httpd.conf" file's permissions are different, make them the same and then try again.

Another note that I discovered while trying to install WordPress, (and this may be the same for other installed apps in your web server's "www" directory).
**You must change the user and group of all these files to be the default "apache2" user, or you will get strange and bizarre errors involving permissions.

The way you do this is:
First: Go to your /etc/apache2 directory and there should be an apache2.conf file there.
(Note that I do **NOT** have my box up or open right now, so I am doing this from memory!!)

Second: Somewhere in that file, down near the bottom I think, should be something that mentions the default user name. In my case it was something like "www_data" or "www_user" (or something like that, again, I'm doing this from memory)

Third: Once you discover what that default user is, chown everything in your /var/www directory - and all subdirectories - to that user.

Viz.: (as root, or "sudo" all these commands)
"cd /var/www" (or wherever your web root directory is.)

Note that before executing the next command, you **must** be within the /var/www directory, or wherever your web root directory is!

"chown -R www_data:www_data ./*"

The "-R" tells chown (change owner) to recursively go into every sub-directory and make changes there too.

The "www_data:www_data" tells chown to change the user:group to www_data, or whatever your apache default user is, though my money's on it being something like "www_data"

The "./*" part tells chown to start *in the current directory*, and change *everything there* If you remember, the "-R" tells it to keep going into all the sub-directories underneath "./" - the current directory - and change that stuff too.

Bottom line, if you run into weird issues, make sure you check ownership and permissions in each directory for all files you make, since "sudo" and root make files with "root:root" as the owner.

What say ye?

Jim (JR)

tz_earl 9 years ago

This was a very helpful set of notes, including the recent comments @jharris1993 which I also read through first before beginning the install.

I did not have any major problems with installing the following stack.

Linux Mint 16
Apache 2.4.6
MySQL 5.5
PHP 5.5.3-1ubuntu2.3

Here are a few notes, some reiterating what other commenters have already said but still current as of the above versions.

I'm very new to Linux, so I'd appreciate others correcting my misunderstandings of how things work under the hood.

-----
(a) Enabling the PHP extension mysql.so

Installing MySQL 5.5 appears to take care of this through the *.ini files found in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d so that there's no need to hand edit the php.ini file to activate this extension as well as others.

-----
(b) libapache2-mod-auth-mysql "is not available ..."

While installing phpMyAdmin using the command,

# apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql phpmyadmin

got the error msg that libapache2-mod-auth-mysql "is not available ..." etc etc.

So I installed without it. So far the stack seems to be working fine without that package.

-----
(c) Browsing to the url http://localhost/phpmyadmin

Installing phpMyAdmin apparently created the file

/etc/apache2/conf-enabled/phpmyadmin.conf

which aliases the url to /usr/share/phpmyadmin

-----
(d) Setting the MySQL root password.

During the install of MySQL, a keyboard-based dialog box popped up in the terminal window to prompt for a password for the root user. So there's no need at all to set the password after the install by using the mysql command line utility.

-----
A very nicely written tutorial with some good details and explanations.

jharris1993 9 years ago

First, I owe you, bigtime! I've been trying to bring up a LAMP server on Mint-13 (Mate, 64 bit) for about two days or so, and was getting nothing but grief. Then I found your tutorial and I accomplished more in two hours than I had in the previous two days!!

A couple of additional notes that you might want to include:

1. I did the steps in ths tutorial *before performing ANY updates* on my system after a fresh install, since I noticed that the update mamager wanted to update Apache2 - and I didn't know if that would help or hinder. Maybe it does not matter, maybe it does, I don't know. What I *DO* know is that it worked when I did it this way.

2. After installing Apache2, it's a virtual certenty that you will get a "Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" error.

The fix is easy, just "sudo gedit /etc/apache2/httpd.conf", and add the one line "ServerName (whatever your hostname is)". Don't include the quotes, (Doh!), and replace "(whatever your hostname is)" with the name you gave to your computer when you set it up. If you don't remember, just type "hostname" in a terminal window, and it will tell you.

Restart Apache2 and this annoying warning goes away.

3. In my case, (Mint 13, Mate), there was no need to edit the /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini file. The commented line was not there, and apparently was not needed, since phpAdmin works anyway.

4. When you go to install phpMyAdmin, it will ask you to create a database for phpMyAdmin to play with, and I selected "Yes". It asks for the password for the "administrative user" - and it sounds like it wants to create another password for yet another user. What it *really* wants is the password you created for the root user when you installed MySQL. If you get this wrong, you get a really scary warning. If you get that warning, just allow it to "retry", and carefully type in the root password you created before.

5. I did not have to do anything to configure Apache2 to work with phpMyAdmin. It worked wonderfully right out of the box.

6. I noticed that phpMyAdmin *does not require any credentials* to access the MySQL databases! Maybe that's a result of the database I created before, I don't know. It *IS* scary!

In any event, I feel like I should send you a case of the finest Kentucky Sour-Mash Bourbon Wiskey - you saved me so much grief!

Thanks a LOT!

Jim (J.R.)

dragondon 9 years ago

@Felicity Google is your friend. Please learn how to use it. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20458641/package-libapache2-mod-auth-mysql-is-not-available

EmilyWolfess 10 years ago

Thanks this is great, but I only needed apache. I never use the phpmyadmin and sql stuff online. I just write html and add my content through the /var/www/ folder on the drive of the server. I appreciate your great article though

9z4fz 10 years ago

Excellent help file this is the kind of Initiative that make the diffrence between success and non life satfication .

A+A =A over A

mx72 10 years ago

REALLY WELL MADE AND WRITTEN ! ESAY but NOT trivial !! thk u !

indyend 10 years ago

Thank you. It's very useful.

Wyght 10 years ago

This was excellent, I had no problems at all following you. Thanks

mysoomro 10 years ago

You're Most Welcome All. :-)

jcgd711 10 years ago

Men hello from Colombia and thank you so much!!!

It helped me a lot and now I can build web sites with Joomla in my Linux mint!!!

Thanks again!!! Cheers!!!

mega_unknown 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing that great tutorial..it was really staight forward steps
Thanks

tlotr 10 years ago

Awesome Tutorial dude. Thank you so much.

nileshahari 10 years ago

Nice tutorial Keep updating.

mysoomro 10 years ago

@rickrick2014: It's not possible unless someone hacks your computer. And Linux is quite secure systme so hacking it is not that easy.

@nisan92: I guess @Chet replied to your question very well.

Thejan 10 years ago

Thanks!! this is a very good tutorial

Wamukota 10 years ago

Is there a reason that this I would prefere this well documented method v. 'sudo apt-get install tasksel' and select LAMP-server in Tasksel?

oxman 10 years ago

Concise, clear and effective. My gratitude to you sir.

rmisra1 10 years ago

excellent tutorial ..thanks to document and share same

turkert 10 years ago

I've fixed some apache packet errors by "apt-get update".
I haven't edited php ini because it didn't exist and the files in etc/php5/apache2/conf.d seems already enabled mysql support.
Phpmyadmin installation also asks for a password. I've given the same password as mysql/root

Well done, good tutorial.

Chet 10 years ago

Hi Nisan92,

After you complete the above tutorial, you will now have a new folder called /var/www/. This is where you will put your site. I personally use the LAMP stack to run a local version of Wordpress on my machine.

I install the latest version of Wordpress right in the folder /var/www/.

I can then build the site and test various code changes and plugins "before" I FTP the site up to my web server. I hope this answers your questions.

427008 11 years ago

Thank you. Very usefull

mysoomro 11 years ago

I'm happy that some of you people found this tutorial helpful. And I'm sorry for the problems or differences that some of you have faced.
I've been busy lately and haven't updated the tutorial..

kaizerking 11 years ago

how to install multipl versions of php, or apache, or mysql?
and enable as requird like wamp server addons?

cardiffjc 11 years ago

I found this very helpful.
There were a few instances where the tutorial didn't match up exactly with what I saw on my machine, but I was able to work around them.

eg 1 - when I installed MySQL from the command line, it failed ."..unable to fetch some archives...suggest you run (sudo) apt-get update"
The apt-get update seemed to be OK, but the tests later showed that MySQL was not present on my PC. So I took the easy way out and installed from the package manager, which worked with no problems.
eg 2 The tutorial recommends some changes to the phpini file to work with SQL, but my phpini file is not as described. Hope it doesn't matter, or I can fix it.

girofleeash 11 years ago

Ho! here is what I get when testing :

Index of /

Name Last modified Size Description

girofleeash 11 years ago

This tutorial is great, just found it and can't wait to try reinstalling. I just started and can't get the ''it works!'' page from apache2... I had to restart from scratch and think I might have messed up with some documents perhaps host and hostnames, i don't know what I should do. anyone can help?

mouton 11 years ago

Thanks for the clear instructions.

I installed Apache2 through webmin; the command line supplied by webmin was:
apt-get -y --force-yes -f install apache2
No password was requested, but the installation went fine since I got "It works!".
How could I make sure that there is a password and that it is not some kind of default password?

cckwes 11 years ago

Thank you very much for the guide

Webbsurfaren 11 years ago

Magic!

PipoST 11 years ago

Thank you very much. This tutorial saved me a lot of time.

mysoomro 11 years ago

Thanks for you comments and support.
@burin never heard anything as you said before. naming files as something.php5.

ercag 11 years ago

if take permisson(write/read) error than use this

sudo chown -R /var/www

Tuomas 11 years ago

Not all worked excatly like u said, but easy to fine the good way.

Thanks for this tutorial.

[Test on Mint Nadia MATE]

burin 11 years ago

To my machine I need to name it something.php5 instead of something.php or it won't work.I don't know why.(Mint 14 Cinnemon x64)

spooge 11 years ago

Excellent instructions - worked like a charm. I also learned that using the command line (apt) is better than using the Software Manger GUI that comes w/ LMDE. I tried it via the GUI first and had problems getting phpMyAdmin installed cleanly (the GUI doesn't prompt for server or phpmyadmin setup). Thanks again!

mintstar 11 years ago

Thanks! Worked for LM13.

EmpireITtech 11 years ago

I'm getting this when I try to login: Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

EmpireITtech 11 years ago

Using your guide I was able to do almost everything, however I cannot login to the phpMyAdmin page with the user "root"...I've tried to reset the password but it's not doing anything....where should I look to either set that password or turn off the password?

mysoomro 11 years ago

You're welcome! :)

almighty000 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for this helpful tutorial.

jofersu 11 years ago

Thank you, it's really works.

pablobablo 11 years ago

Thanks!

mysoomro 11 years ago

Thanks! :)

JC13 11 years ago

Good one thanks

huskeraider 11 years ago

Outstanding!!!

mysoomro 11 years ago

@Meshy112: Check my comment on this page addressed to Mark about a year ago..

Meshy112 11 years ago

Thx. It's very helpful. But how I can comminucate with my ftp-server. Do i need to also install a ftp? Where can i get the data for connection with filezilla to the local-host? Server, username, password, port?

mysoomro 11 years ago

you're welcome :)

itsyash 11 years ago

great tutorial man ! seriously..
took me just 10 mins :)
thanks !

mysoomro 11 years ago

@artyart: Agreed. There are minor differences. The first time I installed LAMP the prompts were mostly as mentioned above the second time I installed they were slightly different.
But they don't create any big confusion..

artyart 11 years ago

Nice job, thanks some of the prompts about passwords and making a new db are a little different in lm13, but the install is very clear and makes this a simple task.

mysoomro 11 years ago

You're most welcome @thanh4890, @kyousanzo, @bobbilob and @Hiuhu.. :)

thanh4890 11 years ago

Thanks, it worked like a charm!

kyousanzo 11 years ago

thanks for info :D

bobbilob 11 years ago

I tried to a LAMP stack on Ubuntu with repeated frustration. Tried Mint and followed your tutorial with success!
Linuxmint 13 Maya comes with pluma rather than gedit, so a substitution was needed. Substitution also works for bluefish (my favourite) but generates some error messages.

Hiuhu 11 years ago

Oh tnanx it worked

mysoomro 11 years ago

Where are you saving those .php files??
Make sure to save them in the Root > var > www ...

Hiuhu 11 years ago

I followed those instructions & did exactly what you said but now when I try a file with a .php extension it, the browser downloads it instead of loading it what could be the problem ? (thnx)

mysoomro 11 years ago

You're welcome!!

htutt 11 years ago

Thanks, very helpful one.

mysoomro 11 years ago

Sorry for late reply. I couldn't sign in for sometime.
@Harri-P: You're most welcome! :-)
@sapistic: I guess stleon gave you a good help. And for for uploading the files to your website you need to use an ftp(file transfer protocol) client. Use filezilla for it. You can install it with following command in your terminal

sudo apt-get install filezilla

or you can download it from this link:
http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/filezilla
just click on install. :-)
@stleon: thanks buddy! :-)

sapistic 11 years ago

Thanks

stleon 11 years ago

/var/www by root. or in your home directory(http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/853)

sapistic 11 years ago

So I got all this, but now I want to make a website. I have a basic knowledge of web languages, including PHP, but once I have my files, where do I save them so that Apache and PHP have access to them?

Harri-P 11 years ago

Thank you so much for this! Was brilliant explanation and really clear. I remember trying to do it before and was not looking forward to doing it again but i had done it within 20mins with this! thanks

mysoomro 11 years ago

you're most welcome stleon...

stleon 11 years ago

Thank you very much for the wonderful tutorial.

gdawg 12 years ago

While attempting to install mysql I get the following error:
jane@gdawg-Satellite-C675 ~ $ mysql -u root
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I also tried 'sudo mysql -u root' but got same result. Any help will be appreciated.

mysoomro 12 years ago

@cahyadwiguna: Check this tutorial. I think you'll find help in it.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244

mysoomro 12 years ago

@minx, Did you changed you httpd-vhosts.conf file?
if you didn't, you need to specify your virtual hosts there, something like following
##
##ServerAdmin postmaster@yourvirtualhost.localhost
##DocumentRoot "/var/www/yourvirtualhost"
##ServerName yourvirtualhost.localhost
##ServerAlias www.yourvirtualhost.localhost
##ErrorLog "logs/yourvirtualhost.localhost-error.log"
##CustomLog "logs/yourvirtualhost.localhost-access.log" combined
##

You can find location of httpd-vhosts.conf file from httd.conf it is normally in apache/conf/extra.

minx 12 years ago

Hello,
How to use virtual hosts in Apache? I followed a tutorial of ubuntu and i have activated vhost_alias module but it does not work.

nicolx 12 years ago

I think is important fix this on apache restart:
Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
Is just a warning but i hate see them! :P
To solve it, open /etc/apache2/site-avaiable/default and att at top of file ServerName localhost.
If you like it add this tips in this article!

cahyadwiguna 12 years ago

how to make virtual directory or /var/www in home?
how to make change permission?

slotzero 12 years ago

Great write up - thanks!

mysoomro 12 years ago

Hey mk_hayes and the64u.. I'll look into other question and comments later on. But mk_hayes you're right for

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
not
<!--?php phpinfo(); ?-->

But I noticed this error long ago and corrected it twice.. If you look at the older comments you'll find out.. But I don't know why it's changing again and again. I think some other codes are messing up with the codes in this tutorial..

Sorry for inconvenience.

mk_hayes 12 years ago

Thanks for this tutorial as it's a great start but it needs a few additions.

Yeah, Test PHP instructions are still, or perhaps again screwy.

sudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php opens up a file called testphp.php, not phptest.php as you have written. And the file needs to contain this:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

not this:

<!--?php phpinfo(); ?-->

And for those looking for ;extension=mysql.so in php.ini
search for this without the ; as it is spaced well apart from the rest and you'll be able to find and uncomment it. (Which is what removing the semicolon does.)

I needed manuka's comment to get phpmyadmin to work. Also, while it may seem obvious, phpmyadmin login is root plus the password created during the mysql install.

the64u 12 years ago

hi,

i work on LAMP last 3 Days.
I m working Linux Mint Katya 32bit
i also tries Mint community, ther Mr Collin helped me..

I want create DB for Drupal

But face probelem in log in of localhots/phpmyadmin
error : #1045 Cannot log in to the MySQL server

when i found i completely remove the mysql-server, PHP5,Apache2
and then follow the instruction given by u.
Start was ok,but the commend does not show any thing
http://localhost/testphp.php
After that there is no content for ;extension=mysql.so

i still finding another solution..

Help me to sort out..

QianQinD 12 years ago

Thanks for the very helpful article:)

mysoomro 12 years ago

you're most welcome. :-)

zaenal1234 12 years ago

Thank's for this tutorial...& very useful&helpful;.

zibams 12 years ago

thanks so much bro this is really awesome

mysoomro 12 years ago

Dear Bob,
You're most welcome. I'm glad that this tutorial is assisting the Linuxmint community.

Regards,
Younis

mysoomro 12 years ago

Dear Mark,

Try using SCP Client for Mac
Transmit http://www.panic.com/transmit/
or filezilla or cyberduck.

If you want to setup FTP following link might help you in this regard.
http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/vsftpd
https://security.appspot.com/vsftpd.html
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/475-insall-vsftpd-in-ubuntu-

macgraphic 12 years ago

Thanks mysoomro, that got it all set up nicely on Mint.

Got a question though, how can I set up FTP accounts within Mint/LAMP to allow access (uploading of files {plugins etc for the wordpress sites on there} for use on them - I also have this installed on a local PC, but do my site coding in Dreamweaver on a mac (on same local network).

Thank again. Mark

guruwannabe 12 years ago

Hi,
Thanks a lot.
Just managed to install Apache, MySQL and PHP following your tutorial.
Regards,
Bob

manuka 12 years ago

This is a step a lot of LAMP tuts miss, if you are getting a 404 error after finishing all the install steps for http://localhost/phpmyadmin then do the following:

Type the following command to open up your apache2.conf file:
gksudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Add the following line of code inside apache2.conf:

Now restart Apache:

Done. I can't claim credit for this and is documented on a few LAMP installs round the place

ilucmaster 12 years ago

How to install pear-php, i bought a bock named Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL E-Commerce

prativasic 12 years ago

Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. Although I use Xampp for it. But for my 64bit PC, I think it's the best way.
And dear Gurman, you can try installing Xampp for Linux which is a package containing the same and requires less command line.

mysoomro 12 years ago

Dear Gurman! try using these terminal commands you'll see if it's more complex or really fast, easy and convenient. With just one command, it'll locate the site of the application on web, download it for you, and Install it.. All in one go.. What can me more easy and convenient than this.. And I don't agree with you.. Web page developers and designers do need to code a lot.. May be only graphical part doesn't need coding but all other stuff needs a lot of code. PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML, XHTML, XML, ASP.NET, JavaScript, all are code based technologies.. Though you can use GUI phpmyadmin for MySQL, but all other still need codings.

Gurman 12 years ago

"If you're a webpage designer or developer..."
If I am a webpage designer or developer I do not want to understand the complexities of command line. I need a modern graphical interface for fast and convenient installation and configuration.The designer should be able to do the design but not programming shell. imho.

Elisa 12 years ago

IMO, for silly noobs aka beginners it's better instead Apache, use rather other web server, a nice GUI configured one -> 'Cherokee' :D or another powerful one - 'lighttpd' ;)
Think about that :P

Fiffifips 12 years ago

Thanx to trollboy and thanx to mysoomro ! working with terminal is fun . and always don't panik! things go on . I think it did well. and I will go on with this stuff working, thanx. My Homepage is waiting ....

mysoomro 12 years ago

Got it right. :). I think the websites code was messing up with the code of tutorial.

mysoomro 12 years ago

Thank you. and yes, you're 100% right. It's <?php phpinfo(); ?>. But I think there is some problem. When I went to edit this, this entire field of code was empty. And I had checked each code before uploading the tutorial.
Let me try it again.

trollboy 12 years ago

Good tutorial but Test PHP step 2 is wrong

It should read
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

instead of
<!--?php phpinfo(); ?-->